The History of Cloverleaf Baptist Church
Harmony Baptist Church established Harmony Baptist Mission Church in 1957 in the chapel of the Nichols Army Hospital Compound. Membership grew from 22 to 100 within the first year. About half of that congregation ventured out to establish another mission church, Arcade Baptist Church.
In 1963, Harmony Baptist Church purchased land at 4401 Manslick Rd from the City of Louisville to begin yet another mission church. This property was located directly across from Cloverleaf Acres, and so Cloverleaf Baptist Church was founded with 131 members.
In 1970, construction of the Arlie Jones Annex that included a kitchen and fellowship area was completed. In the mid 1970’s, Cloverleaf extended its outreach to include a weekly television program on WDRB-TV. In 1983, a new wing of children’s classrooms was added as well as a spacious courtyard. In 1994, further construction enlarged the kitchen and fellowship area, added five new classrooms, enlargement and renovation of the sanctuary, a new large garage and additional parking.
In 2009 the church approved a proposal to build an all purpose Christian Life Center that included a gymnasium, large kitchen, dining area, more Sunday School classrooms, rest rooms, storage rooms, and walking track. A building project called “Building For the KINGdom” began and construction was completed in September of 2010. The old Fellowship Hall was subsequently converted into a youth center and reception/rental room.
These facts express only information. The actual story of the church is seen in the lives of its people. Cloverleaf Baptist Church has a glorious heritage. We are grateful for the investments that have been made in the Lord’s Kingdom by those who served before us, and those who have served with us in the past and present. The greatest days of Cloverleaf Baptist Church are yet to come, and to this extent, our history is still being written.
Six men have served as pastor of Cloverleaf Baptist Church: David Grimes (Mission Pastor) 1958-1960, Brooks Faulkner (Mission Pastor) 1961-1962, Rufus Moore 1964-1966, Henry Beach 1967-1979, Fred Jenkins 1979-1989, and Geoffrey Lacefield 1990-Present.